Temporary new institutions
Page 1, ON THE EXERCISE OF POWER, Article 1
The President of the Republic remains in post until the end of his mandate in 2016. He cannot contest another mandate.
Page 1, ON THE EXERCISE OF POWER, Article 2
An inclusive Government of National Unity is instituted for a period of 12 months, which may be renewed.
The Government of National Unity is made up of members of:
- the presidential majority,
- the democratic opposition,
- the non-combatant politico-military movements,
- the SELEKA coalition
- civil society.
Page 2, ON THE EXERCISE OF POWER, Article 3
The government cannot be dismissed by the President of the Republic for the period of the transition.
Page 2, ON THE EXERCISE OF POWER, Article 5
The Government of National Unity is asked, in particular, to:
- Restore peace and security,
- Organise the municipal elections planned to take place following the dissolution of the National Assembly,
- Reorganise the defence and security forces,
- Reform the judicial system,
- Implement the DDR and RSS process with the support and assistance of the international community,
- Implement economic and social reforms.
Page 2, ON THE EXERCISE OF POWER, Article 6
Neither the Prime Minister nor other members of the Government may contest the next presidential election.
Page 2, ON THE EXERCISE OF POWER, Article 7
The National Assembly will continue to exercise its rights until the next legislative elections.
To prevent any blocks to government business, all legal projects must be voted on by the National Assembly, and in particular those relating to the law on finances, the electoral code, and the reorganisation of the defence and security forces.
Page 2, ON THE SECURITY OF THE ACTORS, Article 8
The President is the guarantor of the security of people and property throughout the national territory.